Hi All

Problem has arisen from moving/copying /Home info.
New PC is up and running but problem is I have not managed to 'copy'
across my /home area from the laptop.
Ralph suggested the following but I'm having problem:

On laptop:
cd / - gets me up one level to the / area OK.
sudo tar cvf /home /media/disk/home.tar

Not working - reports :- tar: home: cannot open. Is a directory.
tar: Error is not recoverable.

Now I'm in root, /home is the directory below, required. OK.
/media/disk/ is the 8Gb USB stick - checked what it's called by Laptop
so should be OK.  home.tar is the file to be generated on the stick,
correct?  Also tried /media/sdb1/ but that did not work either.

What am I doing wrong as tried other combinations, still no good.
Can't copy in a gui as it reports authorised user (can't put 'sudo'
into the gui.

Help please!!

Clive

--
Next meeting: Bournemouth, Wednesday 2009-12-02 20:00
Dorset LUG: http://dorset.lug.org.uk/