I suppose we all do it sooner or later!

The other day I updated my “linux” machine, running SUSE to the brand
new version 11.2.

I backed up my “home” directory to an external hard drive, burnt the iso
image to a DVD, rebooted the machine, and off it went.

Initially I chose the “update” option but soon there was a message
saying something or other had to be done manually (something to do with
the repositories, I think). So, being lazy, and thinking I had
everything backed up, I back tracked and went for a fresh installation –
usually better anyway.

It installed itself without any problems in just a few minutes. A little
to my surprise, the home directory had been retained and was complete. I
hadn’t needed the backup.

But…

I have been using the Addressbook and Calendar components of Korganizer
for some months, holding. I had quite forgotten that these store their
data somewhere else. Silly, as I have backed it up in the past.

The new version of KDE includes Korganizer but, guess what, there is
nothing in it. The default data file std.vcf is there but contains zero
bytes.

I would like to recover the names and addresses, the calendar doesn’t
really matter.

So how do I go about recovering a deleted or recently overwritten file
in SUSE?

I am hoping Linux works like Windows in that it deletes by mangling the
filename and making by making the file invisible, only obliterating it
when it needs the disk space. There is plenty of room on the disk and in
all the partitions.

I there are several file Linux recovery packages advertised online –
does anyone have any experience of any of these? Or can it be done from
first principles?

A possible complication is that I was using Gnome but have now changed
back to KDE. I don’t imagine this would affect the internal workings of
Korganizer.

Many thanks in advance - my face is red!

David

--
Next meeting: Bournemouth, Wednesday 2009-12-02 20:00
Dorset LUG: http://dorset.lug.org.uk/