On Monday 30 Nov 2009, Gemma wrote:
> It's been a while since I have been active on this group, but to topic,
> I've not done anything similar to the squeeze box route, but I do run
> FreeNAS on a 2TB raid 5 HP Proliant ML115 G5 box and I do know that
> there have been extensions out on the web which allow a squeezebox
> server to run on a FreeNAS machine. (the ML115 was cheap despite the
> spec, and ebuyer still do them for ~£220, cors the disks are a bit more)
> http://www.herger.net/slim/
> http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30522/77/
> are a couple immediately available from google. I imagine that FreeNAS
> could easily accommodate the server on a much simple box as freeNAS is
> really light, I run it from an internal 1Gb Pendrive on the 115
>  motherboard. The second article uses a much 'lighter' machine spec a HP
>  T5700 which I don't recognise, but there are some on ebay
> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270473602760

Here's what he said in return:

'Some good software links. Though, it seems the hardware is actually
quite high power.

But, I was thinking... If a server is switched on by ethernet and it's
plugged into my HomeHub, in turn, wirelessly connected to my Squeezebox,
do you suppose it'll switch off if my Squeezebox is switched off? I
can't think of a reason why not.'

So.  Does anyone know if this is possible?  I assume that he's talking about
Wake on LAN, but maybe there's another way.

I don't know much about Wake on LAN, but it looks as if he would have to find
a way to get the Squeezebox to send the magic packet:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN

Presumably the server would then go to standby after a period of no activity.
Or isn't that the way it works?

                64 bit computing with Kubuntu Linux

--
Next meeting: Bournemouth, Wednesday 2009-12-02 20:00
Dorset LUG: http://dorset.lug.org.uk/