Well.  I'm nearly there (I hope).  Microsoft were true to their reputation to
the bitter end and the fix that I discovered earlier (Restore Points) didn't
work out.  I had a running system, but Windows Update wouldn't work.....

Fortunately, Dell provides an excellent 'Restore to Factory Defaults' feature
which uses a Recovery Partition to allow the machine to return to the state
when we got it.  One happy afternoon of Windows Updates and reinstalling
software later, I think I have a working Vista installation.

Unfortunately, somewhere along the way, the Linux installation got broke.  I
don't think it was Microsoft's fault this time; it seemed to happen when I
upgraded Kubuntu from 9.04 to 9.10.  The problem is that the upgrade worked
fine; I simply can't boot into it because the boot menu still lists the old
kernel images (2.6.28-13, instead of 2.6.31-17).

I burnt Super Grub Disk and following the instructions in last month's Linux
Format, was able to boot into a working 9.10.  But it won't work from the boot
menu. ;-(

Still following Linux Format, I typed:
sudo update-grub

followed by:
sudo grub-install /dev/sda

which all seemed to work fine, but made no difference to the boot menu.

This is a hybrid GRUB2 installation, because it was upgraded from a version of
Kubuntu that uses old GRUB.

Any ideas before I reinstall a clean version of 9.10?

                64 bit computing with Kubuntu Linux

--
Next meeting: Bournemouth, Wed 2010-02-03 20:00
http://dorset.lug.org.uk/     http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=2645413