On 29/08/10 19:59, Dan Dart wrote:
Just fri, libdvdcss is region-free. You don't need to set a region
when watching DVDs with it.
If I got the right end of the stick...

I thought that commercially produced DVD discs were region set by the manufacturer for different markets, and by agreement the hardware suppliers restrict hardware to certain regions for those same markets, in the case of PC DVD-Rs often allowing 5 changes before the region becomes permanent.

However, many (most?) DVD player/recorders are hackable via the remote and a 'secret' code, or via a firmware flash in the case of PC components. I guess no one wants to manufacture a region-hobbled unit when their competitors all 'accidentally' release the code to unlock theirs, giving them a competitive advantage, so they all pay lip service to the contract they all sign up to and churn out effectively region-free sets regardless.

Anyway, the point I wanted to make is that surely there is no need to set a region on content /you/ produce unless you want to? You are not bound by any code to do so, nor are you presumably interested in stopping people from different regions from viewing your DVD. (I say 'you' and obviously mean the original poster here Dan, not you as such!)

Of course, I am a notorious chump and may have grasped the wrong end of the stick, if not the wrong stick entirely!

Sean

--
music, film, comics, books, rants and drivel:

www.funkygibbins.me.uk

--
Next meeting:  Blandford Forum, Tuesday 2010-09-07 20:00