Very comprehensive summary of the evening and loads of interesting links,
excellent to follow up on the conversations we had (I was about to google
Vala tonight but you've cut out the search for me, especially as I wasn't
too sure how it was spelt ;-) ).

I agree re: the pub - snug area was nice and location was practical to both
drivers and public transport users, but karaoke was too loud so we'd be
better off meeting on another night of the week. I think that the problem
wasn't so much with the speakers in the snug area but that we actually could
hear directly from the speakers in the karaoke area. At least, this is how
it sounded to me. I could actually see the karaoke if I looked towards the
bar, so there was a direct way for the music to get through, from the
karaoke, over the bar, to us.

Thanks for the IRC plug, I hadn't realised it was active. I have to admit I
haven't used IRC in years, this will bring me back to the 90s lol
--
Next meeting:  Crown Hotel, Blandford Forum, Tuesday 2010-11-02 20:00