On Fri, 08 Oct 2010 21:44:37 +0100, Hugo Mills <h...@carfax.org.uk> wrote:

Ah, excellent, they're centralising the store of plagiarisable code
examples, so we only need to check in one place to see which of our
undergraduates we need to haul over the coals.

Just be aware the difference between plagiarism and good code re-use. Some lecturers come down hard on people who make good use of existing code.

One example was someone who took some code and extended upon it pretty well. They were knocked down a peg or two because they 'took the code' and the exercise was to understand how to do it yourself. The student argued if they didn't understand it they couldn't have extended it well.

Also keep an eye on the official Java forums, if you teach Java at all. That was my favourite hide-out as a student.

--
Robert Bronsdon

--
Next meeting:  Crown Hotel, Blandford Forum, Tuesday 2010-11-02 20:00