On 26/10/10 02:51, Andrew Morgan wrote:
> If there are video problems then log in to a console (Ctrl+Alt+F1) and
> edit "/etc/X11/xorg.conf". Change the Driver in Section "Device" to
> one of "nouveau", "nv" or "nvidia", then save and restart gdm.
>
> If there were problems upgrading packages then run 'sudo
> dpkg-reconfigure -a'. I've had to do that a few times due to failed
> upgrades. I think I've pulled power out of a computer during an
> upgrade twice now!

Also, make a note of what's what in terms of your partitions, so that if
you need to reinstall afresh your /home partition is safe. These days I
pretty much always download the media and upgrade in this way to ensure
that new features are not held back by an old configuration, etc. The
only box that gets a dist-upgrade is my headless mini-itx server.

If you decide to go this route you will probably want to back up /home
and /etc too, if that's not something you do as a matter of course.

Sean

--
music, film, comics, books, rants and drivel:

www.funkygibbins.me.uk

--
Next meeting:  Crown Hotel, Blandford Forum, Tuesday 2010-11-02 20:00