I go away for about 24 hours and come back to what I was hoping in the first
place, ie other people's lists :-)

@Tim: I like the way you summed up the problem of choice for a new user and
I like the idea of recommendations from the distro maintainers.

@jr: I think it's great for those who know a lot that a lot users just know
the basics so they can pay you when they have a big problem ;-) (it's like
taking the car to the garage).

@John: entirely agree about better drivers, though it is of course a tricky
one due to manufacturers. This one is a bit of a catch 22: the more people
use Linux, the more likely manufacturers are to actually provide us with
fully functional drivers instead of our devs having to figure it out. Things
have improved vastly: I ditched Linux the first time around because there
was no stable driver for my new graphic card and it kept freezing, but the
same card worked fine a couple of years later when I returned to Linux.
However, I am still a bit worried each time I buy new hardware because it
always says "Windows only" or "Windows & Mac only" and so you have to do
your Linux-compatibility research first and essentially take a calculated
risk.

Re: OpenOffice, I'm curious to know what will happen to it now that it's
been bought by Oracle. I've heard that it's going to be forked.  Anybody
knows about that?
--
Next meeting:  Crown Hotel, Blandford Forum, Tuesday 2010-11-02 20:00