On 7 November 2010 18:14, Peter Merchant <madsmad...@netscape.net> wrote:
>> > ... Would this book give
>> > some/any assistance in me writing my own, or modifying existing ones if
>> > I can locate the source for a simialr scanner?
> My scanner is an Astra 1210P from UMAX and is a parallel printer. I said
> it was ancient, but I didn't mention that it is a bit of a bastard I
> think in terms of it's parentage.

no matter, if, as you wrote, you can locate source code for another
(similar) scanner, you'll be fine anyway; chapters 9 and 10 deal with
(parallel port) I/O and stuff.  even if you can't lay your hands on
suitable code, the book is a goldmine in terms of 'howto' write
drivers.

fwiw, IMO 'Understanding the Linux Kernel' (O'Reilly,
978-0-596-00565-8) is a fine complement.

--
regards, jr.

time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

--
Next meeting:  Crown Hotel, Blandford Forum, Tuesday 2010-11-02 20:00