On Friday 26 November 2010 21:55:09 Brian R Masterman wrote:
> Seems that I may have found part of the problem. I had ktorrent running
> as a automatically startup application.
>
> I have also enabled my Firestarter but still find that 'netstat -a'
> shows a lot of connections that I cannot explain.
>
> Doing a;
> netstat -pta | egrep LISTEN
> shows;
> tcp        0      0 linux:mysql            *:*
> LISTEN      1408/mysqld
> tcp        0      0 *:www                   *:*
> LISTEN      1954/apache2
> tcp        0      0 *:ssh                   *:*
> LISTEN      1109/sshd
> tcp        0      0 linux:ipp              *:*
> LISTEN      1132/cupsd
> tcp        0      0 *:gdomap                *:*
> LISTEN      1489/gdomap
> tcp6       0      0 [::]:ssh                [::]:*
> LISTEN      1109/sshd
> tcp6       0      0 linux:ipp              [::]:*
> LISTEN      1132/cupsd
>
> Which I would expect, but;
> netstat -a | egrep CONNECTED | wc -l
>
> Shows;
> 566
>
> So my big question is what are all these connections that are established?
>
> Brian M

Further to my last e-mail I THINK

netstat -a | egrep CONNECTED | wc-l

list all the ports which are in use by programs running on your PC, try

netstat  -ape

Which gives a full list all these program, can somebody confirm I am right

Tim

--
Next meeting:  Somewhere quiet, Bournemouth, ???day 2010-12-?? 20:00