On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 21:27:24 -0000, StarLion <duked...@gmail.com> wrote:

Actually, I would think Fedora would be better in that kind of
situation. I've put up with SELinux on it a few times. It's annoying,
but I'll grant it does the job well.

I would hate to play devils advocate but I'd be more interested in seeing the government move with someone like Red Hat and take on a support contract.

There isn't much that will damage the opinion of Linux more than a roll-out of "unsupported" distro X desktops which end up compromised within 6 months because the primarily windows trained staff didn't know how to manage the network.

To be honest if a review of desktops happened, It would be better that a thin client solution was seriously looked at. By being able to set-up VPN access to a terminal server "private" data can remain on the secure machines. But I'm sure we all know the advantages of such a solution. I'm not sure many people have an idea of the costs.

Ironically now Sun is gone. They had all this wrapped up in some excellent (albeit expensive) bundles.

--
Robert Bronsdon

--
Next meeting:  The Broadway, Bournemouth, Tuesday 2010-12-14 20:00