On 02/04/11 15:04, Natalie Hooper wrote:
> When I got my new computer a few months ago, it came with Windows 7 and I
> used Windows 7's own Disk Management tool to resize my window partition.
> However, I discovered I wasn't able to resize it down to as small as I hoped
> I might, due to some data in the middle of the drive that wouldn't move (I
> had a 500Gb drive and found myself having to keep half of it for Windows 7),
> even though I hadn't used Windows at all at that point, only booting into it
> once so that data was there from Windows 7 install. So be aware that this
> might happen (an online research revealed that I wasn't the only one in that
> situation) - in fact, I have wondered if it might be a Microsoft's strategy
> to make it more difficult for users to install other OSs on their
> computer...

I seem to recall way back when (Red Hat 4?) having to defrag Windows
prior to shrinking the partition to ensure that problems of this sort
were avoided, at least that was the advice the HOWTO mag I bought
offered so that's what I did.

I haven't given it a thought in recent years (I have shrunk the
pre-installed Windows partitions down on at least three laptops before
installing Ubuntu variants as the main OS), and haven't encountered an
issue. That said, I have only once encountered Win 7 as the installed OS.

Sean

--
music, film, comics, books, rants and drivel:

www.funkygibbins.me.uk

--
Next meeting:  Bournemouth, Tuesday 2011-04-05 20:00