On 04 April 2011 at 23:37 Ralph Corderoy <ra...@inputplus.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi Terry,
>
> > Maybe my memory is faulty, but my recollection of doing this on
> > earlier Unix systems, (like Solaris), is that the hostname went into
> > the file called hostname (or similar) and that did it (after a
> > reboot).
>
> Debian/Ubuntu still have that.
>
>     $ cat /etc/hostname
>     oracI think what confused me is that TinyCore seems to have two
>independent ways of setting the hostname; the file hostname, just like Debian
>and Solaris, etc and the bootcode hostname=Myname.

It was really confusing, because with the hostname set in the hostname file, I
was able to ping 'Myname' successfully, but DNS didn't work and the command
hostname returned 'box'.

Once I added the bootcode, everything worked.

I think I've established that this bootcode method is (if not unique) special to
TC; presumably so that a LiveDisc user can set the hostname of a CD based
system.  I don't have a problem with that, but they shouldn't be independent.
 I'd have expected the bootcode to write to the hostname file, to keep
everything consistent.

Next meeting:  Bournemouth, Tuesday 2011-04-05 20:00