Hi Dean
See below for answers and note my comments to Ralph's email and others.

Clive Wills

On 24/04/11 12:54, Dean Ramsden wrote:
On 23/04/11 23:10, C A Wills wrote:
Hi all

Can anyone shed some light on the following fault when copying
JPEG/JPG files to a DVD and/or a USB stick?

Copied several files and folders (all jpg) on unbuntu 10:10 to a DVD,
a few files were readable but most reported :-

Could not load image xxx.JPG.
Error interpreting JPEG image file (not a JPEG: starts with 0x00 0x00).

Tried reading files on an XP - same report. Also tried copying on the
XP to DVD but got same result BUT not all with same files!

Tried on another Ubuntu desktop, same results.

When looking at DVD files show as JPG with correct size (Mb), preview
can not show files either.

Now have several DVD's with files but not able to see them.

What went wrong with the copying?

 From what I can understand about this error one of two things has
happened. One, the files have been saved with the wrong extension or
they have all been corrupted.
Suspect all affected files are corrupt but will check extensions.

Have you tried removing the extension and then opening them in EoG to
see what happens?
No but will when time permits (travelling next few days).

This blog entry helped explain but I have been unable to track down a
list of header codes to find out what extension 0x00 0x00 represents.
http://vacariu.wordpress.com/tag/misnamed-file/
Will look at this next time I'm connected but probably over my head!

Hope this helps in some way,
Dean

--
Next meeting: Blandford Forum, Wednesday 2011-05-04 20:00