Hi Terry,

> I'm sure he would have tried that.  I may have been guitly of
> oversimplfying the question; I think he might be trying to talk to
> another device over a serial link, just as you would have done with a
> VT 100.

I was going to ask if that's what he was doing but thought better of it.
:-)

> Can you use gnome- terminal or xterm to do that?

No.  There's minicom(1), though it's a clone of a DOS program, seyon(1),
which uses an xterm is the ANSI-handling terminal, or cu(1), which as
`call Unix' is really part of UUCP but is in its own package these days
because it's handy even without the rest of UUCP.  Again, it just runs
at the command line so that will handle the ANSI.

There are others, like cutecom, but I don't know about ANSI support for
those.

Cheers, Ralph.

--
Next meeting:  Bournemouth, Tuesday 2011-11-01 20:00