Hello,

I have a laptop onto which I'd like to install Linux  Mint.

On my Ubuntu desktop machine, I downloaded the Linux Mint ISO from
linuxmint.com.
I then ran the 'Startup DIsk Creator' on the Ubuntu system, giving it a 4GB
USB memory stick and the
linuxmint-13-mate-dvd-32bit.iso file. The Startup DIsk Creator has run
apparently successfully and
the USB key now shows as a 4GB file system containing directories:
/boot, /casper, /install, /preseed, /syslinux, /.disk and some top level
files including autorun.inf.

However, when I put this USB key into the laptop, although I have set the
USB Key as top priority in the BIOS boot menu, the laptop just boots from
the hard disk.

I am pretty sure the ISO image itself is sound, as I have run the Mint
system directly from the image in a VirtualBox VM.

The User Guide talks about burning the ISO to a DVD and not to a USB key.
Is there anything else I need to do to make a bootable USB key from an ISO
image?

--
best regards,

Victor Churchill,
Bournemouth
--
Next meeting:  Bournemouth, Tuesday 2012-06-12 20:00