On 08/11/12 14:19, Tim Allen wrote:

I've noticed for some time something which baffles me with X forwarding
over ssh and using Firefox (Iceweasel in Debian).

I can open a remote Iceweasel session, served up locally, in the normal
way:

localmachine$ ssh -X remotemachine iceweasel

However, if I already have a local iceweasel session running, the above
command just opens another local iceweasel session. What am I missing here?

Debian Squeeze on both machines. This is specific only to Iceweasel (as
far as I know). Nothing immediate leaping out at me with -v or -vv.

Curious isn't it? Thunderbird is the same, and Firefox too IIRC. It must detect the other session via the X server somehow.

I haven't tried it, but might this help?

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Run_multiple_copies_of_Thunderbird_at_the_same_time#Making_Thunderbird_behave_differently