Hi John,

> Can someone please explain why bash in interactive mode doesn't
> respond to the <tab> key

Did it used to work for you?  What have you entered and what happens on
pressing tab?  Does the cursor move across as if one or more spaces have
been inserted?  Does the terminal beep?  (You may have the terminal
configured to turn beeps into flashes of the title bar.)  What if you
press it more than once in a row?

Does your Tab key produce a tab character?  Run `od -c', press tab three
times, then type Ctrl-D, your terminal's end-of-file character, twice.
I get

    $ od -c
                            0000000  \t  \t  \t
    0000003
    $

The `\t' shows ASCII HT, horizontal tab, was received by od suggesting
bash should get one too.

Have your a configuration file for readline that could be affecting it?
What's the output of

    echo ${INPUTRC?}
    ls ~/.inputrc

> and what workaround would they recommend apart from starting an
> interactive /bin/sh ?  (Ubuntu lucid, soon to be precise).

On a different Ubuntu I find /bin/sh doesn't have completion so Tab just
enters a tab.

Cheers, Ralph.