I intend to buy a portable hard drive with a USB interface. I've looked at Samsung, Toshiba, and Western Digital. For 1Tb they are all about £60. On Amazon for both the Samsung and Tosh, about 10% of the customer reviews are negative, but the WD has no negative ones.

The descriptions of each state, helpfully, that they have a USB3 interface and this is compatible with USB2. But I'm on USB1 !! Do you know if USB3 is always compatible with original USB?

I have a WD internal drive and that is fine. Clearly, WD is favourite but do you have any reason to put me off this one, or do you have any other recommendations?

Thanks,
 John