From: c...@pampru.org<mailto:c...@pampru.org>
Sent: ‎07/‎10/‎2013 19:08
To: Dorset Linux User Group<mailto:dorset@mailman.lug.org.uk>
Subject: [Dorset] Linux problems with SSD drives

Hi all,

I upgraded to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on a PC which has an SSD drive, but
lots of problems have arisen and usability is steadily getting worse
with an increasing number of regular functions no longer working and
many freezes needing complete shut-downs. 12.04 LTS seemed to be very
flakey indeed.

I mentioned it to John Dubery and he though it may be the SSD that is
not suited to Linux, and yesterday my son, an IT-based Systems Design
manager, said that an IT supplier told him not to use SSD drives with
Linux.

Has anyone else experienced, or is aware of, problems when using SSD
drives with Linux?

With reliability of SSDs now surpassing rotating-disk drives and SSD
drives increasingly being supplied as standard in laptops and PCs,
this could be a serious issue for Linux users.

Charles Miller