 From: JD <john.dub...@hotmail.co.uk>
To: dorset@mailman.lug.org.uk
Sent: Wednesday, 13 November 2013, 16:29
Subject: [Dorset] How do I "move" /home to a new partition?

I want to "move" /home to a bigger, empty partition.

So I created a new partition and in /etc/fstab I added it with a UUID and
mounted at /newhome.  Then I rebooted and copied from /home to /newhome with
rsync.

Then I edited fstab again, changing /home to /oldhome and /newhome to /home.

Upon rebooting I find that neither user with their home at (new?) /home can
login.  The password is recognised but I get taken straight back to the login
screen.  Guest can login and its home is /tmp.

I've got back to the beginning by using the recovery boot and going into root
and re-editing /etc/fstab (but only after fsck which seems to make the
partitions r/w).

What else should I have done?

Regards,
John

-- Next meeting:  Bournemouth, Tuesday, 2013-12-03 20:00
Meets, Mailing list, IRC, LinkedIn, ...  http://dorset.lug.org.uk/
How to Report Bugs Effectively:  http://goo.gl/4Xue