On 07/03/14 14:48, Terry Coles wrote:
OK so I renamed it.

On Friday 07 Mar 2014 13:50:49 Terry Coles wrote:

I actually think that the Muon Update manager is the biggest pile of dog-poo
that comes with Kubuntu.  Yesterday I explicitly checked that it was set up
to notify updates, (it already was) but today, when I manually checked,
there was a new kernel update ready (perhaps the one to fix the nVidia
mismatch?).

I wasn't notified before running Muon, but I was as soon as it had manually
checked (stable door).  I then ran the updates, but the notification
remained in the tray.  I then clicked on it again, but all it told me was
that it had checked for updates 17 minutes ago, (when I logged on) and
there were no new updates.

I then clicked on the amber 'Restart' button that had appeared in the tray
after the kernel update, but it ignored me and did nothing.
I've done a search for problems with the Muon Update Manager and found this:
http://linuxforums.org.uk/index.php?topic=11474.45

which rambles on for four pages, but the title says it all; 'Yet more update
manager woes!

It didn't tell me how to fix it (or at least I haven't found it yet).  One
thing I have noticed is that there is a tool called update-notifier, which many
cannot get to work, and muon-notifier, which some at least can.

The muon-notifier seems to be installed by default on my system.  However, I
cannot see it in the running processes.  Kubuntu no longer seems to include
any kind of service manager, although I'm sure it did, so I'm not sure how to
check to see if it running as a service.

I am not sure what update system Xubuntu 13.10 use but it is pants, I remember it was not notifying me of updates when running Synaptics showed there were updates. I have switched it off and run synaptics every couple of days manually, that way I don't have a problem.