Hi Sam,

> As this will happen every, say, two hours I'd like the Pi to shutdown
> or hibernate between program executions.  Currently I'm thinking about
> using a RTC with rtcwake(8).

The Pi doesn't have a real-time clock chip and battery, i.e. something
that keeps track of time passing when power is off.  A bit of Googling
suggests rtcwake(8) has issues on the Pi because of this;  no rtc device
found.  I could be wrong.

There are things like http://spellfoundry.com/products/sleepy-pi/ that
have a second device to power up the Pi at the allotted time.  It could
then take its picture and shutdown again.  There's probably cheaper
similar things about?

Cheers, Ralph.