Hi Ralph,

Cheers for the speedy reply :-)  The kernel links were quite interesting.

> Back to the "usb 2-4", that's the device.  On plugging in a USB flash
> drive, dmesg shows
>     usb 1-6: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 7
> and lsusb
>     Bus 001 Device 007: ID 7614:5066
> Do you see anything similar around 2-4?  lsusb's -D can be handy, e.g.
>     sudo lsusb -D /dev/bus/usb/001/007
>
> If you unplug all possible USB things you've added, does it still occur?

I had nothing plugged in at the time.  Began looking into the devices
listed on /dev/bus/usb/* using the command and found it was probably
to do with the wireless/bluetooth modules.  Blacklisted a module
(ath3k) and changed some modprobe options for another (ath9k) and it
seems to have sorted it for now...

> BTW,
> https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=string%20descriptor%200%20malformed%20err%2061%20string%20descriptor%200%20malformed
> for me comes up with quite a few similar complaints, including some on the
> C720.  :-)
> http://forums.bodhilinux.com/index.php?/topic/10471-acer-c720-problem/
> Did you ask for "-61", only the `-' tells Google to skip items
> containing "61"?

I had found those links but they provided no further information of
use :-) (http://xkcd.com/979/)

Thanks,

Sam