Hi Clive-

I find with commands like Rsync I remember recipes and use them all the
time.

I used to use *rsync -avcz *for everything ...
-a includes -r so you don't need both
-v gives you more output.
-c makes it checksum the files rather than looking only at file size and
datestamp, so is safer but a lot slower. Optional, depending on
circumstance. Perhaps use the first time if repairing a broken copy,
otherwise don't bother.
-z compresses the data over the wire, only useful over the network and
probably slows things down if not

So often -av is a better, faster choice.

I also now often add -HAX after a few "mishaps" ...
-H include hard links
-A include ACLS (extended file permissions)
-X include xattrs

These generally do no harm and occasionally will be essential.

So, in your case *rsync -avHAX* might be appropriate.

One more gotcha... in the source spec for rsync, the trailing / or lack of
it is significant

So:
*rsync -avHAX sda3/home sdb4/home *will copy the home directory itself to
sdb4/home/home
*rsync -avHAX sda3/home/ sdb4/home *will copy the *contents* of the home
directory to sdb4/home

I expect the latter is what you want.

Doing it from a live disk is guaranteed safe, so is preferable. Otherwise,
you can boot in single user or rescue mode and repeat the rsync command a
few times to catch any differences that happen during the first pass.

Good luck!