Hi Ralph

On 25/09/15 15:38, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
Hi Tim,

After the upgrade, print spooling to an old HP Laserjet 6P through an
Edimax ethernet-Centronics print server stalls (lpd://printer:lpt1).

That a Pi still on CUPS 1.5.3 is odd, as if it isn't the Jessie upgrade
that's broken things.

Yes, that really surprised me and I'm all too aware that device failures do coincide with upgrades leading to a wild goose chase. Having systematically swapped out the Edimax, its PSU, network cable and ethernet switch port I fully expected it to work. I'm wondering if it's an Avahi-related issue, but I'd already upgraded other machines on the network. Not sure if Avahi daemon was running on Wheezy.

LPD is an old and simple protocol IIRC.  Have you tried capturing the
network packets from the sending machine with tcpdump(8) or Wireshark,
and looking at them in the latter, not necessarily on the same machine?
It might show which end speaks last.

A small print job would lessen the noise from the print out itself, and
you can increase the size if small ones work OK.

Yes I could but as I've found a work-around I think I need to move on to some of the other new CUPS problems this release has thrown up.

Cheers

Tim