Hi Terry,

> > The creator of the scope seems quite open about its workings
> > creating a symbolic link to have COM1 access the USB scope in WINE;
> > that's probably an older version of the scope that may have
> > presented a different, serial-port, interface.
>
> Having spent a bit of time researching this, I have established that
> DPScopeSE (the one I have) is definitely using HID.  The old posts
> referred to the original DPScope, which is now obsolete.

I had an email today from Wolfgang Maichen, the designer of these
scopes.  The picaxe.com PCB-scope is functionally identical to the
DPScope SE, and it does use USB HID, and not the USB virtual serial port
like earlier models.

The protocol is described in
http://www.pdamusician.com/dpscope/files/DPScope_SE_Interface_Description.pdf,
linked from http://www.pdamusician.com/dpscope/downloads_se.html, and