Hi Tim,

> On Debian 9, I've been using Adblock-plus (via the
> xul-ext-adblock-plus package). On a recent normal upgrade this is no
> longer listed in the Firefox extensions. Tried purging and
> re-installing xul-ext-adblock-plus, then uninstalled it and installed
> xul-ext-ublock-origin as an alternative, with same result.

Firefox stopped supported XUL extensions at some point;  only the `web
extensions' are supported.  I'm guessing Firefox has just upgrade across
that boundary for you and so the installed XUL packages are of no use.

I think the security-updates APT source may have caused a big jump in
Firefox versions because the old one was too hard to patch.  Yes, 52→60,
if package firefox-esr is what's installed.
https://security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/source-package/firefox-esr

https://packages.debian.org/buster/webext-ublock-origin exists, but not
in stable, only testing, AFAICS.  I expect there's many in the same boat
as you.  I'll look into it more tomorrow if you haven't solved it by
then;  out of time now.

Cheers, Ralph.

--
Next meeting at *new* venue:  Bournemouth, Tuesday, 2018-10-02 20:00
Check if you're replying to the list or the author