Hi,

It's been suggested that we handle our Inventory for the Electronic
Development at the WMT using a database linked to the Item Lists for each
Assembly.  The suggestion came from someone who has used such a beast in a
commercial environment (ie a Company Management System (CMS)), so believes
that it would help us manage the procurement of parts, the 'kitting' and
building of assemblies and the management of spares.

I have to say that with the current inventory, which is held in a LibreOffice
spreadsheet, the quantities are getting a bit unwieldy and when we start
'picking' it can only get worse so I can see the attraction.

Having said that, neither the proposer or myself can claim to be experts in
database design; we were simply users of the said CMS and got all the benefits
without the pain.

So here's the requirement:

1.  The database should be hosted on a website somewhere.

2.  The database should be Open Source.

3.  There should be a GUI-based tool available for the development and use of
the database.

3.  The GUI tool should be Open Source and be able to run on Linux, Mac or
Windows (particularly the first two platforms).

The current spreadsheet has a total of five columns; Item, Condition,
Quantity, Location and Comment.  We would probably want to add a Supplier
record and maybe two or three others too.

Any suggestions?

  Next meeting at *new* venue:  Bournemouth, Tuesday, 2018-12-04 20:00
  Check if you're replying to the list or the author