Hi Terry,

> The question that's really bugging me is why did it work OK until I
> changed the files that I was trying to play?   Does Audacity do
> something when it encodes mp3 files that upsets the device identity in
> some way?

That would seem odd, wouldn't it.  What else has changed recently?
HasĀ Raspbian or mpg321 been upgraded?  Can you try the original command
with the original files.  Or even better, restore the SD-card image that
you think was working fine; the one with the old files and mpg321.
Then you know it's just as it was when it's been working for months.

--
Cheers, Ralph.

--
  Next meeting: BEC, Bournemouth, Tuesday, 2019-04-02 20:00