Ralph,
I had tried again with installing 18.10 as an extra O/S - twice, in
fact!  This seems to have disgusted the PC so much that it sent me back
to grub-rescue!  With the one combination of hd and partition number
that found something, the config file was missing.  So I did the obvious
and installed 18.10 in place of 18.04, and immediately upgraded to
19.04.  As I had /home on a separate partition this didn't disturb user
files.  A rather obvious step I guess.

I swapped the new /home with the old one and almost every thing that
mattered was back.  The only "clever" step I took was to change the new
user and group numbers to be the same as on the old /home.  I'm sure I
still have some chowns to do but it's OK.

Ubuntu 19.04 reports system errors about twice a day but so far these
haven't disturbed anything.  I lost about half a dozen applications but
when I re-installed them the old config files were found and used.  GIMP
isn't installed with the distribution, which surprised me.
> Did you have it configured to do automatic package updates? - auto
> notification but not installation.  I don't think an update was going
> on when the problem started.
My real find was that according to gparted (under the trial run of
18.10) the / partition was full.  But according to "disks" it was
unallocated.  I increased the size with gparted but still "disks" got it
wrong.

Would you expect a full system partition to generate a recoverable error?
> I wonder if the graphical display manager, e.g. gdm, has a recovery
> mode - I can't see any reference to one online.
> `ps axf' shows all processes in a forest.  You might see what's taking
> the time, e.g. an fsck(8).  Adding a `u' to that, `auxf', adds columns
> including %CPU that could show what's busy.
>
> `systemctl' will list the state of the system in systemd's eyes.
> It tends to colour-code unusual states.

They are useful, thanks.
>> I've tried several tests; the only one that showed a hard error was
>> MemTest86+ when using ALL 4 CORES - it stopped at Test #7 (Block Move
>> at 4096M-6144M) but with no output, the cpu seemed to have stopped.
>> With only 1 core all tests were passed.
> That's the kind of thing to do when all is thought well to give a
> comparator.
- good point. Made more relevant by discovering that this failure is
well-known, but not on all PCs/motherboards

Finally, the up-to-date version of flightgear, now in a Ubuntu
repository, runs fine.  I can invite my grandsons again.

Regards,
John

--
  Next meeting: BEC, Bournemouth, Tuesday, 2019-06-04 20:00