On Monday, 23 March 2020 16:47:37 GMT Tim Waugh wrote:
> In case you haven't seen stories about this elsewhere, I thought I'd share
> a couple of projects which may help us all out of this mess by harnessing
> otherwise-idle CPU/GPU time.
>
> https://foldingathome.org/covid19/
> http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/
>
> I'm running the folding@home client in a Docker container on the
> Linux-based microserver I have at home, using this Dockerfile:
> https://github.com/RedHat-EMEA-SSA-Team/fahclient-container
>
> You can 'docker run' it with '-p 7396:7396' to be able to see its (simple)
> web interface.

Hi,

I have three PCs here which could run either of these tools; one Linux
desktop, one Windows Gaming Machine and one Windows Laptop, now sadly slowly
dying from mechanical failures.

However, only one of these machines could possibly be run 24/7 and
unfortunately that's the ancient laptop.  The other two are in bedrooms.  What
happens to the calculations with these tools if the host is shut-down for the
night?  Is everything lost, only the current calculation lost or do they cache
the partial result and carry on from there?

I control two of the above machines and although the gaming one belongs to my
son, I should be able to persuade him to run one or the other of the tools,
since AIUI, they don't use CPU cycles when the machine is actually being used.

I did a search of the FAQs on both sites but couldn't find the answer to the
shutdown question.

BTW.  What are the benefits of running these tools in a container as opposed to
just installing them?

  Next meeting: BEC, Bournemouth, Tuesday, post-lurgi 20:00