On Fri, 10 Apr 2020 11:44:03 +0100, Terry Coles wrote:
> > What appends the ‘[1]’ at the end of the URL?  The terminal here
> > thinks it's part of it, as shown by the underline drawn on hover,
> > and passes it to The Grauniad.
>
> That's KMail

That always catches me out!

(The trick is to remember to use the URL in the footer, rather than
the one inline.)

I'm using KMail too, but I didn't realise it had this feature.

It looks like it does it if you edit the mail in rich text mode and
then convert it to plain text with markup.

Normally I just edit in plain text mode directly, so I never encounter
it.

For a hyperlink of the text 'example' to the url 'https://
example.com/', the result is example[1].

However, if you insert the URL as both the 'Link text' and the 'Link
URL', you will instead get https://example.com/[1], which causes the
problem.

(I notice it will only refer the first instance of a given URL to the
footnote, annotating subsequent instances with _underline_ markup
instead, so this email of mine, containing two references to the same
footnote, could only have been written some edits in plain text mode.)

--------
[1] https://example.com/