On Wednesday, 10 June 2020 16:06:01 BST Terry Coles wrote:
> Nowadays I try to avoid the problem by shrinking the original partition a
> bit before I dd it to create the image; you should be able to do it with
> GParted. Then, when I copy it to the new card, the image should fit.

I think I was fooling myself when I did this back in the day.  We bought a
supply of Patriot 8 GB Micro SD Cards and I suspect that these had the most
capacity out of the selection that I had from Verbatim, Sandisk, etc.  I was
probably using those...

Anyway, I took an image of a card at the beginning of the month and when I
tried to copy it to a new card, it wouldn't fit ;-(  After various shenanigans
I posted a query on the Raspberry Pi Forums and got several responses see:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?
f=28&t=277218&p=1679441#p1679441

Out of the several options offered, I managed to fix the problem using a tool
called image-backup.  It turns out that image-backup is only part of a suite
of utilities called image-utils; see the discussion at the link for more info.

I downloaded this and initially used the included image-shrink utility to
reduce the size of the image that I had saved earlier. The process completed
without error, but it wouldn't mount, so there is clearly something wrong with
the original image. However I was able to successfully write it to a 16 GB
card and it subsequently booted with no problems.

So then, from within the running system, I used image-backup to save a backup
of the running system onto a memory stick plugged into a spare USB connector
on the Pi. This produced a 2.3 GB image instead of a 7.5 GB one and I was able
to successfully write that to an 8 GB SD Card and boot from that too.

(Note: Patience is needed because there is no feedback and it checks the
resultant image before exiting.)

There is an option to not expand the file-system on first boot, but now I know
can create usable images using this tool, I didn't use that.

A highly recommended tool.