On 16/09/2020 12:24, Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty wrote:
> On 16/09/2020 12:19, Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty wrote:
>>> I'm gonna have to shut this system down, but in the meantime I'm open to
>>> any more suggestions. I'll try a bunch of different things I guess, and
>>> see f it makes any difference. May also see if it happens on a live disk.
>>>
>>> Hamish
>> Turns out this seems to happen (or at least be much worse) when I'm
>> using encrypted swap space with LUKS. I shall report this to the Mint team.
>>
>> It doesn't happen when live-booted from a USB stick on the same system,
>> so good news is that it's probably something with my configuration like
>> the above, rather than a bit of a disaster for Mint 20 in general.
>>
>> For the NAS box, I'm going to cross compile some more tools. On my list
>> are top and free (better versions), and htop. Any ideas for small tools
>> that might be useful? Bearing in mind the ARMv5 architecture and the age
>> of the platform (Linux 2.6, glibc 2.8, GCC 4.7) I might not be able to
>> compile big things, but I have had luck with many things.
>>
>> GCC 4.7 is the newest thing I could get to work, but it seems to compile
>> most things without a problem even now.
>>
>> Hamish
> Nope, I was wrong, it's something else. I'll figure it out eventually,
> but I'm mostly just glad it doesn't affect vanilla mint. Fortunately I
> have an overkill amount of RAM so it doesn't matter anyway. At least
> it's probably not hardware - also occurred on my old Intel system w/
> NVIDIA GPU, but now I'm all AMD.
>
> Hamish

Using the script Ralph sent me, and a clone of my installation to an
external HDD, I have found that once logged in, the SUnreclaim value
only goes up when I'm looking at the X server output. If I switch to a
virtual terminal, it (almost) stops climbing.

Display driver related issue maybe? I'm using a Radeon RX460 with the
open source AMDGPU driver.

I'm not quite sure where to report it, so I guess I'll ask on the Mint
forums first and see if anyone else has experienced this. Sound like a
good starting point?

Hamish