On Mon, 15 Feb 2021 17:13:12 +0000, Terry Coles wrote:
>  When the button is pressed, the Webserver generates a message
> which it sends to the Music program.  There is a cron job, triggerd
> by  apscheduler which parses the message and in this case calls the
> next_playlist() function.

Ah, I think that changes things. Triggering a cron job is going to
have an effect similar to starting a new thread. (Indeed, that might
be precisely why you are using a cron job.) In which case, my
hypothesis could well be completely wrong.

I have a feeling you did explain this arrangement before, so I
probably should have remembered.