Thanks, this all sounds like it'll be a very good idea.

syslog is attractive, but I'm not sure this even has syslog. Or maybe I
need to turn it on, I remember hearing something about it anyway. I'll
figure it out and get back to you.

At the moment I'm adding indexes to the database so it'll have to be a
bit later on - this looks like it will take a few hours.

Hamish