On 17/06/2021 22:44, Tim wrote:

On 17/06/2021 09:46, Stephen Wolff wrote:
On 16 Jun 2021, at 23:25, Tim wrote:

Hi All, when I went to use my laptop the other morning I was presented with this in the reading pane of my Thunderbird, it was working the night before

The web site tried to negotiate an inadequate level of security.

live.thunderbird.net <https://live.thunderbird.net/>uses security technology that is outdated and vulnerable to attack. An attacker could easily reveal information which you thought to be safe. The web site administrator will need to fix the server first before you can visit the site.

Error code: NS_ERROR_NET_INADEQUATE_SECURITY

I am Running Debian Bullseye and Thunderbird 78.11 64 bit

I have three email accounts on thunderbird all are working collecting and sending emails ok in other devices and on web access pages for each of the three accounts so the issue seems to be Thunderbird. the other two accounts (Virgin Media and my Xendistar account seem to be able to receive, but gmail fails completely on send or receive (gmail work as normal on many other device s without issue

I have had a look around but can not see any problems so where should I start looking?

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=live.thunderbird.net&latest

This lists 6 addresses - but is very slow at doing the tests - I can see a B for one so far after a couple of minutes… anyway, might help work out if it is the endpoint or perhaps there’s a mixed https/http message which you’re viewing? That can trigger warnings in Chrome?

I ran the test and all lines returned a B, does that mean the security level for the SSL that Live.Thunderbird.net use is only at a B level of quality\security which gmail find as to low hence they stop working? What I don't understand that if if this was a large problem to to user of gmail on Thunderbird then there would be a lot more users with the same issue asking the same question as I am on the internet. Is it simply have to wait until such times that Thunderbird do something to improve there SSL?

Tim

I have found it is a Debian bug https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=989839