On Fri, 31 Dec 2021 16:21:34 +0000, Terry Coles wrote:
> I need the volume to be controllable from my Python program, so I
> set it once at the beginning when the program is launched, eg:
>
> amixer -c 0 set PCM 100

This looks like it should be a valid command, based on the
configuration you listed and according to the amixer man page that's
in the Debian bullseye alsa-utils package.

That form of command works fine with amixer 1.1.8 on my laptop.

Are you saying that the "amixer: Invalid command!" error is produced
when you run that amixer command directly?

In other words, have you ruled out the possibility that the Python
program has somehow begun to pass unexpected arguments to amixer?

Patrick