On 29/03/2022 10:30, Terry Coles wrote:
Hi,

I currently have an excellent HP A3 Inkjet printer which does scan, copy and
print very well, but costs an arm and a leg for ink.  Not only does it appear
to drink the stuff, a full set of cartridges are currently well over £100.

My Birthday is coming up, so I thought that I would use that as an excuse to
get a Laser Printer.  I initially looked at HP, because their HPLIP package
pretty much guarantees that any of their printers will work on Linux.
However, at the cheaper end of the market they are all monochrome only and /
or don't do double sided printing automatically.  I print a lot of documents
with coloured diagrams, so need both colour and double sided printing.

At Which? there are three best buy colour Lasers; the HP Color LaserJet Pro
M255dw at £799, another HP printer that only does manual double-sided and the
Brother HL-L3230CDW, which does everything that I need.  However, I've never
owned a Brother printer.

So what are the gotchas?  Do Brother Printers generally work on Linux?  Does
anyone already own or have experience of this printer?

Alternatively, can anyone recommend a laser printer that meets my requirements
and also works well on Linux?

I have a Brother HL 1212W wireless laser printer and have never had any trouble
with it. It is only black and single sided. I seem to remember having to
download the drivers from the brother support site but I have had it for a few
years now.

Peter M.