On 03/08/2022 12:49, Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty wrote:
A Library Under Attack
The right for libraries to lend books is being threatened. Donate today to help us continue advancing Universal Access to All Knowledge. <https://archive.us20.list-manage.com/track/click?u=38bd6154386f64fcd92204a25&id=49f2456742&e=beaf25edcf>

<https://archive.us20.list-manage.com/track/click?u=38bd6154386f64fcd92204a25&id=99644db8f0&e=beaf25edcf>

Dear H,

Now more than ever, we need your help, because *the right for libraries to lend books is under attack*. The Internet Archive is defending access to knowledge and our ability to serve our patrons—but unfortunately, fewer than one in a thousand of our users choose to give. Will you support this crucial online resource <https://archive.us20.list-manage.com/track/click?u=38bd6154386f64fcd92204a25&id=3fc78106d5&e=beaf25edcf>?

I'm not entirely sure what the issue is here.  The statement '*the right for libraries to lend books is under attack*' is, I think, a trifle over-broad.  Unless I've seriously missed the point, the lawsuit is aimed at the 'Internet Archive' not all 'libraries'.  Yes, the Internet Archive functions as a library, but not in the same way as the libraries in most towns and larger villages around the country and the world.

Don't get me wrong; I feel that the Internet Archive is a very useful resource, and I don't see why the rules for an online library should be any different to a physical library.  However, the money men are around and smell a profit, so they have become a target.

I'll leave it up to you guys to decide if the Internet Archive warrants your support.