For some while now one of us has had some difficulty setting up the Wifi on his
Pi-zero-W.    Here are my instructions for getting it working with the latest
OS. This is different to older Raspbian OS's.

1] Flash the latest OS onto your memory card.

2] Before removing the card from the computer, open a terminal in  each of the
partitions on the card and 'touch ssh' ( might be Sudo Touch ssh - I can't
remember). This is for use in the future if you want to access the device when
it is in operation.

3] With a screen, keyboard and mouse connected boot the R-Pi.

4] When it is up, highlight the Wifi symbol at the top right of the screen and
set up your wifi parameters.  This will give you a dynamic IP address.

5]  Do the usual sudo apt update  and sudo apt full-upgrade   and then follow
the instructions from here: https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-network-manager/

starting at point 6.

That gives all the instructions even to setting a static IP address and
creating a wireless hotspot.

That all worked for me.

Note that I started from a different place in that I set up dhcpcd.conf for an
Ethernet connection on a R-Pi model B and used that for the initial
installation of the drivers for my WiFi dongle, before moving over to the
Pi-Zero.  Editing this and wpa_supplicant.conf does not work on this latest OS,
you need Network-manager.

Cheers,

Peter