Hi Clive,

> no mail from the LUG since Tims 'Amazon v Morrell' mail.

The LUG machine running Mailman dislikes 92.205.12.157's behaviour when
connecting to port 25, SMTP, to hand over emails to you.  Here's the
current DNS settings for posterity.

    $ dig +short cewland.uk. mx
    0 mail.cewland.uk.
    $ dig +short mail.cewland.uk. a
    92.205.12.157
    $ host 92.205.12.157
    157.12.205.92.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer
157.12.205.92.host.secureserver.net.
    $

Exim on behalf of Mailman logs that ‘Remote host closed connection in
response to initial connection’.

I see this myself with ‘nc 92.205.12.157 25’.  Sometimes 92.205.12.157
closes the connection immediately.  Sometimes it prints the expected
SMTP greeting but I'm finding it takes twenty seconds before printing
that.

    $ time nc 92.205.12.157 25 <<<quit
    220-sxb1plzcpnl490284.prod.sxb1.secureserver.net ESMTP Exim 4.95 #2 Tue, 20
Jun 2023 02:44:23 -0700
    220-We do not authorize the use of this system to transport unsolicited,
    220 and/or bulk e-mail.
    221 sxb1plzcpnl490284.prod.sxb1.secureserver.net closing connection

 →  real        0m20.301s
    user        0m0.011s
    sys         0m0.004s
    $

This is a long time and Exim doesn't bother waiting around.  It's so
consistently twenty seconds that I don't think it's because the server
is heavily loaded but rather an ‘anti-spam’ method.

I suggest contacting the ISP to say incoming SMTP connections from
mailman.lug.org.uk to 92.205.12.157 are seeing this twenty-second delay
before the SMTP greeting and it's causing Exim to log ‘Remote host
closed connection in response to initial connection’.

    mailman.lug.org.uk has address 85.119.83.42
    mailman.lug.org.uk has IPv6 address 2001:ba8:1f1:f090::2

> Not sure that I've managed to get 're-enlisted' to /receive/ mail from
> the LUG.

I've just checked.  You are subscribed to the list.  Given I haven't got
a recent ‘new subscriber’ email then I think you already were.  This is
also backed up by Mailman letting your posts through to the list as it
wouldn't do that for non-subscribers.  I've just ticked the ‘Ack’ box on
your subscription page, which you can also control yourself, which
should make Mailman send just you an acknowledgement of each email as
you send it to the list.  Of course, you won't get them at the moment.
so keep an eye on the web's archive of list postings.

--
Cheers, Ralph.