Hi Andrew,

> Clonezilla is faster as it only clones areas of the filesystems which
> actually contain data, but that probably doesn't matter for a one-off
> clone.

A good point.  dd(1) obviously doesn't do that.  I had an idea GParted
could when copying a partition because it could use an external
filesystem-specific program to do the copy but browsing
https://gparted.org suggests I'm wrong.

Copying only the important bits is a useful optimisation and it's been
used by many over the years.  But I always wonder ‘If it goes wrong for
me, how many years pass before I find the end of some file is missing?’.
Then I go for dd and copy all the bits, even the ‘unused’ ones.  :-)

--
Cheers, Ralph.