Hi Terry,

> > > As I said, I’m surprised that any hosting provider allows
> > > otherwise these days.
> >
> > Hugh,
> >
> > Can you please explain to me why using an alias (which has
> > previously been set up as a mail forward) is a security risk?
>
> Can anyone explain this?

I don't see the issue with a provider of email hosting for
your-domain.com to allow you to send and receive emails from all and
sundry addresses at that domain.

Anti-spam measures SPF, DKIM, and DMARC work at the domain level AFAIK,
not at the individual email address.

Yes, to talk POP3, IMAP, or SMTP to your provider you will need to
authenticate, preferably after establishing a encrypted connection using
TLS.  It's up to the provider what you authenticate with, e.g. ‘terry’
and ‘letmein’, what mailbox that gives you access to, and what email
addresses it lets you send from.

Talk to IONOS.  If they persist in restricting their service then
withdraw your custom to send them a price signal.  :-)

--
Cheers, Ralph.