Hi,

Following a suggestion from Hugh off list, I did a clean installation of Windows 10 on my Dell XPS 13 (9350 model).  Two things emerged from this exercise:

1.  Bluetooth didn't work in Windows, even though it does in Kubuntu.  Maybe this explains the problems in the VM?

2.  I cannot update grub to show the Windows partition in the boot menu.

I've used dual boot before (many moons ago, but mainly between multiple linux installations.  I suspect most people start with Windows and then install linux, but I already have a valid Kubuntu 23.10 installation, so (of course) Windows overwrote the existing boot menu and the machine simply booted into Windows with no choice given.

I had expected this and believed that it could be fixed using grub-update.  I was able to access the boot menu provided by the BIOS (F12 on this machine) and got back into Kubuntu OK, but when I ran grub-update that didn't work.  I then ran grub-probe and the Windows partition showed up OK, but that didn't allow grub-update to work.

Any ideas?  Years ago, I had a tool that allowed the grub menu to be updated fairly seamlessly, but I suspect that has long been out of support.