I've got CityFibre (which is run by Vodafone) and its Fibre-to-the-Premises.
They effectively run a bit of fibre from the telegraph pole into my house, just
the same as copper used to.  This terminates in an NTE box that converts it to
Ethernet.

Vodafone supplied the router that plugs into the NTE via the Ethernet (my
assumption is that there's an Ethernet switch in the cabinet and they're
encapsulating Ethernet over the fibre, then there's a single IP presented to
the router than then NATs anything you plug in on the other side).   The router
has an RJ47 connection for a telephone and I have a number allocated, but don't
use.  I assume this is now done as Voice-over-IP to the router and its handling
the conversation to the PSTN handset.

Got to say I've had it over two years, great speed and minimal outages.  Much
happier than I was with Virgin.

Regards

James