On 26/04/2024 12:19, Terry Coles wrote:
I've trawled the Internet and found various solutions, none of which
work.  These included using dpkg to purge strongswan, strongswan-charon
and strongswan-starter, before trying to install strongswan again.

I've found something odd.  I believed that this command:

  sudo dpkg --purge --force-all strongswan

Should remove everything related to the package strongswan.  It would
appear that this is not the case, because I still have the following
directories and files:

strongswan.conf

strongswan.d

swanctl

and swanctl is full of directories, which are in turn full of there
directories and files.  What am I missing?