Thank you Piers, changing mk_mngpdb.inc did the trick. Still, it doesn't
build completely. Normally I would have abandoned it by now (I don't
*really* need it that badly on NT), but I thought this last error was
worthwile looking at/knowing about.

It fails to build isymwrapper.dll, and I boiled it down to this:

L:\Work\DotNet\sscli\clr\src\toolbox\isymmanagedwrapper>csc /unsafe+ /checke
d- /R:L:\Work\DotNet\mscorlib.dll /nostdlib+
 /R:L:\Work\DotNet\mscorlib.dll  /target:library objdf\rotor_x86
\AssemblyAttributes.cs objdf\rotor_x86\AssemblyRefs.cs isymwrapper.cs

error CS1577:         Assembly generation failed -- The system cannot find
the path specified.

The interesting part is that if I just remove /unsafe+ from the command
line above, the code compiles fine. I just don't see what the relationship
is between generating unsafe code and the search path for compilation.

Cristian